As we New Englanders patiently wait for yet another Patriot appearance at the Super Bowl, we present you with 10 random facts about Tom Brady.
With the Super Bowl on the horizon – which will be appearance #6 for our dearly-beloved #12 – there’s a story posted online about Tom Brady, and his stats and records, every 16 seconds or so. One can only read so many articles about his being the best at everything before one begins to troll the Internet for non-sports-related information. So on a chilly January afternoon, that’s just what we did.
Disclaimer: We said “troll the Internet” which means we can’t necessarily verify any of this stuff.
In no particular order, 10 things about Tom:
- He was deemed not good enough to start for his oh-and-eight JV team, but when the starter was injured, Brady stepped in and remained the starting quarterback through the remainder of high school. Doesn’t this sound eerily familiar? Sorry, Drew; we couldn’t resist.
- Not only is he the only boy, he’s the baby in the family which includes three older sisters; maybe that’s why he handles being the center of attention so graciously.
- His idea of a ‘diet splurge’ is pancakes that he makes himself, according to InStyle. Dude needs to get serious with some Stout Macho Nachos or something.
- His fave pre-game pump-up song is 4 Non Blondes “What’s Up?” according to NESN.com. “And I scream from the top of my lungs, what’s going on?”
- It is noteworthy – at least to us – that he did the inexcusably cheesy Stetson ads just prior to meeting his glamorous wife Gisele Bündchen in 2006. It’s not the cologne that we found inexcusably cheesy; it was wearing a shearling coat with no shirt on.
- He has two middle names, Edward and Patrick, but it’s certainly possible Patrick is a confirmation name.
- He doesn’t drink “much” alcohol, he never drinks coffee and he also eschews Gatorade. We forgive him the coffee and Gatorade. We’re working on the alcohol thing; baby steps.
- His favorite candy is “anything dark chocolate” according to a post on his Facebook page on Halloween in 2013. Given his much ballyhooed super-strict diet, we’ll assume he was referring to organic, all-natural, non-GMO dark chocolate.
- According to an article on Boston.com, his first job was as a paperboy for the San Mateo Times. He made about 50 bucks a month. Oh; how things have changed.
- It has been widely reported – and we do mean widely – that his favorite cereal is Honey Nut Cheerios. We’re completely clueless as to why this is considered such pertinent information that multiple news sources relay the fact (and, yes, we do realize the irony of our “reporting” it here ourselves).