Summer is officially here. The solstice has come and gone, and the kids are home from school. How you approach this season of carefree living determines whether or not you’re a “Summertime Slacker.” We realize it’s a lofty title that can take years of Zen-like lack of focus to achieve. But we at the BBC like to aim high.
Here’s a quick quiz to help you gauge your place on our patented “Slacker Scale.”
- By the time the final bell rings on the last day of school you:
- Are so ready to start making another summer’s worth of memories with your children.
- Have scheduled just enough activities to give the kids structure while leaving room for family time.
- Greet the kids in the parking lot with their luggage already in the trunk and the GPS set for overnight camp. Hey, 12 weeks is pricey, but it’s worth it!
- When the birds start chirping at an hour when civilized people still want to sleep, you:
- Hop out of bed to get in a run before it’s time to head to work.
- Feel thankful that you invested in sound-insulating windows and air conditioning.
- Realize it’s time to wrap up the party and head home for some shuteye.
- When your relatively new “significant other” suggests that a weeklong camping trip would be the perfect summer vacation, you:
- Think “I have finally found my soulmate!”
- Have mixed emotions because you prefer your vacations include a concierge and maid service, but you’re willing to give it a try.
- Nod along while surreptitiously checking your still-live profile on eHarmony.
- When faced with the realization that there are hours of viable daylight left as you finish work, you:
- Race home to happily tackle that list of outdoor chores that built up over the short, winter days.
- Head to the nearest park or beach for a game of pick-up volleyball, knowing there’s a cold beer waiting when it’s over.
- Peruse the pre-loaded list of nearby pubs with patios that you wisely keep at the ready on your phone, and then head to the nearest one.
- As Labor Day approaches, you find yourself:
- Doing everything possible to savor the last remaining moments of summer.
- Feeling somewhat wistful, but also ready to get back into your normal routine.
- Counting the days until the start of the NFL season, because you’re more interested in Tom Brady winning his sixth Super Bowl than anything about summer.
Calculate your score:
- If you answered 1 to each question, you’re one of those people who has boundless energy all summer long. You’re a unicorn.
- If you answered 2 to each question, you’re a healthy hybrid of summer aficionado, mixed with a bit of “been there/done that” attitude.
- If you answered 3 to each question, you are a bona fide Summertime Slacker. Congratulations?
We wish we had that nifty “Share your results on Facebook” option, but that would take way too much effort. We’re too busy slacking.